Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Apps for the Classroom

As my school transitions to a 1- to -1 school district with each student having access to an iPad or a Microsoft tablet, I have been working to compile a list of some great iPad apps for my second grade classroom.

Show Me

Teachers can model how to solve a particular math problem and record the steps along with the audio of the process.  Students can watch the video on a computer or any electronic device to remind them how to solve the problem.  

Students can also create videos to demonstrate how to solve a problem.  Teachers can grade these videos and hear each student's method as he or she solves a math problem.  When students are able to explain and demonstrate how to solve a problem, they will have a deeper understanding of the mathematics. 


This teacher resource has all of the Common Core standards compiled in one place.  No longer do you need notebooks of copies of the standards that you teach.  This app includes all grade levels of math, and language arts Common Core standards.  There are some science standards included as well.  This resource can be a great place to always turn when you need to be reminded of your grade level standards or to see what your student have learned the year before or will learn in the coming years.

This app allows you to edit Microsoft Office documents on your iPad from your computer through DropBox, Google Drive, Skydrive, and Box.  Anywhere with an internet connection, you can edit documents or create new documents that are completely compatible with your computer or laptop.  Cloud On has many of the same editing and formatting toolbars as Microsoft Office, so you can make any changes that you need from your iPad or electronic device.

With this app, you can open any PDF document on your iPad and type onto of it.  This app does not let you change the text of the PDF, but you can add any text or notes to the document.  There are options for adding text, highlight, and drawing on the document in different colors.  I use this with my Fountas and Pinnell Reading assessments.  I test each student's reading level throughout the year and the assessments use a lot of copies.  I knew there had to be another way to store these assessments besides notebooks after notebooks.  Now, I download the assessment sheets to my iPad, open the file in the Type on PDF app, make my notes, and send the file as an email attachment to my computer.  I now have organized folders for each student on my computer instead of in notebooks that take up lots of space in my classroom.




1 comment:

  1. I love the PDF File that you can type on. I would love to use this in my day-to-day needs.
    This app is something that every one can use.

    ReplyDelete